Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nicholas as "Jungle Man"

Today my day started out with a few little adventures. With none other than...Nicholas. First I go into his room looking for him, as he told me to come play with him after I finished making my bed. He was nowhere to be seen but one clue was left behind. The screen to his window!! Through the curtains, I see Nicholas trying to open the window which was completely shut. I open the window and drag him back into his room. I'm not pleased. I tell him to NEVER get on the roof again. He looks at me kind of bewildered through his tears and says, "The roof?" "Yes," I say. Again he looks at me confused. Thinking of "the curb story", I realize he doesn't know what the "roof" is. Thinking of what would make sense to him, I point to the window and tell him not to go out the window ever again. He got it. At least I hope so. My goodness, if it wasn't for the screen I would of never found the boy! (Until a neighbor called, right?!)
Next, Nicholas is outside trying to ride his bike. After a few minutes out there, Jed said, "Michele, Nicholas is crying out there. Go check on him." I just assumed he fell over in the snow when the bike tipped or something like that. I walk out the door and hear him crying but don't see him. His bike is on the porch which seemed odd enough so I walked over there. My word, the boy had fallen into the window well! No scrapes or bruises, just a sad boy. Aahh, thankfully.
Finally I find Nicholas at the top of a tree in our front yard and I tell him that seeing him up in the tree so high makes me very nervous. He says to me, "Oh mom, its okay. I'm jungle man!" I laughed and said, "Nicholas, you can still fallout of that tree and crack your head open." "No mom," he says, trying his darn-dest to reassure me. So my brother Aaron, who happens to be there, says the same, "Nico, you need to get down from the tree so you don't fall and crack your head open!" Nicholas puts up his hands (aahh!) and says, "Oh Aaron, Jungle man don't fall out of trees and crack their head open!" So obviously we are laughing listening to this little fellow, who's oozing with confidence and giving us a big story. I can barely watch him as he tells me, "Look mom, I can get down myself. See!" When he finally reaches the ground, without falling or cracking his head open, he says, " See mom, Jungle man can get down from the tree ALL by his-self!" Relieved, I say to him, "Yes, you got down alright. Now go play with your cars." Without missing a beat, he says, "No mom, jungle man don't play with cars...you know, jungle man don't play with toys either." Oh my, oh my! Never a dull moment.

4 comments:

Mike and Deb said...

Man he is a hoot...you would think he was your flesh and blood...He is just like Ethan! I love hearing of your daily adventures, keep them coming! Love ya!

Our cute family said...

Okay! Today I need a good laugh pick me up! Boys are so busy it seems --- I am worried for James! All of the little boy in our families are really busy and do funny things too. Can't wait/CAN wait for our turn. Thanks for the fun posting. Hope your family is enjoying the new house.

Fleming's

Mandi said...

What a patient mother you are. I love hearing about your days.

Ethington Family said...

Oh,I'm so glad to hear from you!! Your kids crack me up. I love you!
mary